How to Clean Pavers

Ways on How to Get Rid of Mold from Sandstone Paving

Sandstone Pavers

When you’re looking to bring some elegance to your patio and garden, sandstone paving is one of the best ways to go. This natural stone has been used in decorating walls, floors, and countertops for ages, and holds up very well in the elements, particularly in hot temperatures. Sandstone comes in shades of earth-toned colors that look good with virtually anything, and has a smooth finish. It’s easy to install outdoors, and can last you a long time.

However, sandstone is also a rather porous material. Prolonged exposure to moisture and dirt can lead to the growth of mold, fungi, and algae. This is particularly common in bathrooms, kitchens, patio areas, swimming pool areas, and even living rooms. No need to worry, though—they can still come off when you use the following:

Chlorine Bleach

One of the main components of bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which is used in many mold-removal products. Mix only 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (about 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water). This is because chlorine bleach is very strong and too much of it could end up damaging the stone. Using a spray bottle, spritz the moldy area and leave it for 10-15 minutes before applying the solution again. Then use a good scrub brush to remove the mold, and finish off with clean water.

Anti-Microbial Spray

This kind of product can be found in most grocery stores. Spray a generous dose on the affected area. As it dries, the spray creates an airtight coating around the mold that chokes its growth. Once you see this coating, soak an old rag with the spray and rub at the mold until it comes off. For large or hard-to-reach areas, you can use a fogger to dispense the spray instead of a spray bottle.

Paper and Hot Water

This is one of the best non-chemical methods of dealing with mold, and takes advantage of sandstone’s porous nature. Tear some sheets of white paper into shreds. Soak them in hot water until they’re soft enough to crush into pulp. Then spread the pulp along the moldy areas. As the stone absorbs the moisture from the pulp, it serves to loosen the mold as well. As the paper begins to dry out, it starts sucks up moisture from the nearest source—the sandstone. In the process, it also imbibes the loosened mold into itself, leaving the sandstone mold-free.

One important thing to remember when dealing with mold and chemicals is that you should always wear protective gear like rubber gloves, goggles, and masks to cover your nose and mouth. This is because the cleaning process can send mold spores flying, jeopardizing your health. It is also best to dampen the sandstone first before cleaning to keep mold spores from spreading to the air. To avoid future occurrences of molding, it is recommended that you apply sealant to your stone to prevent moisture from soaking into the stone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *